Multi-Billion Dollar International Scientific Services Company
Support and develop a Technical Leader to take on Vice President of Sales and General Manager responsibilities
- Brilliant Technical Leader is assigned a global leadership position in a troubled business unit.
- Challenged to lead global sales and inspire a business unit that experienced 5 years of economic fade.
- Senior leadership requests coaching to support this newly promoted leader to develop into his new role.
Break Through Process:
Aspirations: What is most important to you right now?
- Explore how he might reinvent himself as a stronger leader while still remaining authentic to what was important to him personally.
- Evolve executive’s technical communication style to meet standards of his new audience: Board of Directors, Senior Leadership Team and Executive Sales Team.
- Develop leadership skills to create greater collaboration and consensus amongst varied stakeholders.
Awareness: How do others in the organization see you?
- Discovered that others believed his technical brilliance and ability to synthesize information could produce the answer to the economic fade, however his communication style could de-rail his success.
- Realized that he needed to fully understand the perspective of the person(s) being addressed to effectively communicate his vision and inspire execution.
- Recognized that his unique subject matter expertise was highly valued by the company and needed to be leveraged at every opportunity as a means to build consensus.
- Acknowledged that the old leadership behaviors that had taken the sales leader this far had met their limits. Additional leadership behaviors were necessary to take him forward.
Action Plan: What goals inspire and ignite you to action?
- Supported the sales leader in developing both verbal and non-verbal communication skills - listening, questioning and adapting one's style.
- Assisted in creating concise and actionable presentations, monthly newsletter and other communications that distilled his brilliant business models.
- Identified that the sales leader personally valued execution over collaboration and interpersonal relationships. Shifted this focus to the interpersonal allowing him to “do” less, by gaining more support from others.
- Gained understanding of multiple stakeholders' points of view and the ability to integrate this with business facts to move the organization forward.
Assess Results: How has your vision become reality?
- CEO recognized that during the tenure of coaching this sales leader moved his business unit from 5 years of fade, to profitability.
- CEO further recognized that "coaching contributed to the business unit exceeding goal by $30 million in revenue."
- Business Unit President stated that, “Coaching helped improve customer satisfaction, and improvements in customer relationships set the business up for even bigger long-term gains."
- Sr. Vice President of Human Resources stated that, "Coaching supported a marked improvement in the efficiency of the team including increased productivity and improved morale."
- Increased effectiveness in communicating change initiatives led to superior execution of business plan.